Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

We are boring...

It's true!  I'll be the first to admit, we live a very busy, non-exciting life.  You know what, I'm good with that.  While I would rather spend time taking great family vacations, going to the movies, out to eat in fun restaurants, sitting in the car for hours on end on a family road trip (which I really do enjoy!), camping, and enjoying a nearby lake or park, these times are few and far between.  As the kids have gotten older, they are busy with their own activities, and we are busy with ours.  I would say that most of our one-on-one time is spent driving them to and from activities.

Since Makenah has had dibs on the family car (or as Scott likes to call it, his "other" car) for the last 2 years, we have seen less and less of her.  Our family dynamics are changing and it's something I am keenly aware of and have reluctantly accepted at this point in our lives.  Now that she's graduated with a job and will be going off to college soon, she wants to spend as much time with friends as possible. I understand that.  So the other day she said something about how boring our family is and how we don't spend enough time together. I thought that was an interesting perspective on her part.  I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that our family togetherness has become like the majority of todays population.  We all sit together in the family room, the TV on - right now, watching the Olympics.  Scott and Dalton play on their iPhones, the girls are texting friends, and I'm on my laptop.  I'm sure this is not unique to our family.  It's is kind of sad to me though and I'm glad Makenah brought this up - we did need more family time - something other than cards.  It made me stop and think.  So, Scott and I talked and came up with a few ideas.  We decided on a much needed family day this last Saturday. It was hot, it was humid, and it was gross outside.  We grabbed a few loaves of bread and ventured out anyway.

We went to the store, picked up some frisbees, and headed to the nearby park for a game of frisbee golf.  We had frisbees land in the creek, the bushes, the trees, one that hit me in the back of the head, and then into the metal baskets.  Makenah complained that it was too hot, and we were all sweaty and thirsty.  While it was fun to have some family time, and I'm sure we'll play again, I don't think frisbee golf is our new family sport.  After a round of frisbee golf, we stopped for some drinks at the gas station, then we went to another nearby park became rebels for "feeding the water fowl".

It was a great afternoon to get out in the heat of the day for some much needed family time.  . When we got home, we congregated to the kitchen for lunch.  Before I knew it, Makenah was in the family room on the couch with her feet up, computer in her lap, TV on, and everyone else followed - I guess we're boring, but boring is all right by me.











No comments: